Monday 9 May 2016

Mixed Media Monday: Butterfly Canvas

Hello and I hope you have had a lovely weekend!

I am back today with a mixed media piece that is much more pretty and feminine than I usually create, but was a lovely project to make.

I will be entering this canvas into the following challenges...

* More Mixed Media - Pink
* Fantasy Stampers - Flower Power
* Sweet Stampin' - May Flowers
* Crafty Calendar - Things with Wings
* Countryview Challenges - Use a Stencil
* IndigoBlu - Spring is in the Air
* Creative Artiste - Anything Goes
* Anything But Cute - Celebrate Your Style
* Craft Stamper - Anything Goes
* Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Anything Goes
* Love To Create - Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes

Here are the items that I started with although I did use one other stamp from IndigoBlu (Big Butterfly) which I decided on at the end!...


I started by using light modelling paste through a flower stencil from Stamps Away and the diamond stencil from IndigoBlu...


Once this had dried I used a selection of paper flowers, resin flowers and paper clay flowers that I had previously made from moulds.  These were attached to the canvas using 3D matte gel on top of some gauze, lace and paper doilies...


When these had firmly set I coated the whole canvas with heavy white gesso.  As the colours already matched my final colour choice I wasn't too worried about making sure it was totally covered as long as there was a reasonable coverage...


Choosing a selection of pink and white spray inks, the whole canvas was then sprayed with colour (Lindy's - coral; Dylusions - bubblegum, white linen; Distress Stain - tattered rose; Imagination - fuchsia, white).  This was dried off with a heat tool and then enchanted gold and blush gilding wax added to highlight the texture and some watered down gesso flicked onto the canvas...


To add extra interest I added some pieces of foliage and some pink stamens.  Then I stamped the IndigoBlu Big Butterfly stamp and the two smaller butterflies from the new Floral Fantasy set using versamark and heat embossed in gold...


These were cut out and coloured using spectrum aqua pens.  Finally I stamped and embossed one of the sentiments from the Floral Fantasy set and cut it up into strips.  After colouring the words with a matching aqua pen all the pieces were attached to the canvas using glue gel...




I really enjoyed making this piece!

I will be back tomorrow  with a project using Leonie Pujol's stamps and masks so do please come by for a look!

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment