Friday 1 April 2016

Funtastic Friday: Fairy Legend

Hello and welcome to the last post of this week!

The sun has now started shining again here which has meant the children have at least been able to get outside for a bit during their school holidays.

My project today is being entered into the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers challenge 'L is for Legend'.

The only legend type products I really have are related to fairies, so I decided to go for a sparkly, mystical fairy theme.

I started with an MDF hexagon with an outer frame.  It didn't have any holes for hanging so I used my dremel tool to make 2 holes at the top of one side...

 
 
I always prepare my MDF using white gesso so that the other products used do not soak into it too much.  Then I added light paste though a 'reverse chicken wire' and 'mini art is' stencils from TCW...
 
 
Once fully dried I painted the pieces using blue and purple shades of Imagination Starlight paints as they have a beautiful shimmer that I wanted for the magical theme.  I used Mediterranean Sky, Sax Blue and Amethyst as well as adding a bit of Pearl.  I painted the colours in strips then spritzed with water at the joins and blended them together...
 
 
 
Silver gilding wax was added to highlight the texture then I painted some of the colours onto card and stamped the butterfly from a Bee Crafty stamp set in versamark and embossed with silver powder...
 
 
 
Five butterflies were cut out then I chose the three that I wanted to use on the project.  I then looked through my box of paper flowers and stems and chose a selection of blue and purple pieces.  After placing them and the butterflies to decide where I wanted them, they were glued down with glue gel for a strong hold, and I added some curled silver wire to the butterflies as antennae.  The hanger was also made using silver wire to match the rest of the piece...
 
 
 
The whole plaque was left to dry overnight so that the glue would be completely set.
I wanted some words that would fit with the feel, so had a look through my Tim Holtz Small Talk stickers and found 'leave a little sparkle wherever you go'.  I die cut a large fairy and some small fairies out of black card (dies by Joanna Sheen) and chose where to place them.  For an extra sparkle I used 2 chunky glitters from Chloe Endean to match the colour scheme and used a white acrylic based glue to stick them down. 
Finally all the rest of the pieces were glued on using glue gel and some touches of glitter glue added...
 




 
It is much more sparkly in real life than can be captured in the pictures!
 
Have a lovely weekend.  I will be at a monthly vintage and craft fair this Sunday and Jayne who runs it always has lovely cakes so I should be ok!!
 
I will be back with another project on Monday,
 
Jane x






No comments:

Post a Comment